Subscribe To Our Blog

Email Updates
To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Retrieving a Lost Savings Bond

Last week during a presentation an audience member asked me how they could replace a lost savings bond. The individual thought they wouldn't be able to replace it. The good news is the Bureau of Public Debt is authorized to replace lost, stolen, or destroyed bonds.

Steps for retrieving a lost savings bond

1) Go to the US Department of Treasury’s website at and download Form 1048 Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds (pdf).

2) Fill out as much information as you can about the lost bond including the bond owner's name, address and Social Security number.

3) Mail the form to: : Bureau of the Public Debt, Bureau of the Public Debt, at PO Box 7012, Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012for series E, EE and I bonds; for H and HH bonds, send it to PO Box 2186, Parkersburg, WV 26106-2186

For bond related inquiries you can also email or call (304) 480-7711.

You can also use the Treasury Hunt tool to see if the Bureau of the Public Debt has any savings bonds for you or your family members that have been returned as undeliverable. Treasury Hunt also tells you about savings bonds no longer earning interest. If you still have these savings bonds, cash or reinvest them so your money can start working for you again.